Thursday, October 20, 2005

Sure he's guilty. I hate him, so he must be!

In theology we call it something like the aosegetic approach, where someone has a preconceived belief, and then makes any data conform to that belief. I reckon that public opinion on the DeLay case will be based less on what they think of any facts of the case (and so far I'm aware of two checks and nothing else) and more on what they think of Tom DeLay.

I think he's guilty, and probably so is half of Congress. I also think he'll be acquitted.

What matters most to me is that whatever standard there is be uniformally applied, so that everyone who does something like election fraud, of whichever party or ideological leaning, is treated as similarly as possible.

3 Comments:

Blogger mkchicago said...

"I think he's guilty, and probably so is half of Congress."
I wish I had put this option in the poll, b/c it certainly occurred to me, and I think it is just about right.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Germanicu$ said...

"...whatever standard there is be uniformally applied..."

Your commitment to fairness is commendable. I trust you will bring this high-mindedness to our discussion of David Cay Johnston's book on the rigged tax code.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Notobamasfool said...

Hey Germanicus,

Fairness, schmareness. I look forward to reading Johnston's take on it, but I've always thought it beyond much of a doubt that our complicated tax code allows the super-rich to get away with murder. I suppose it's the rich, but not so-filthy rich, that ultimately pay the most.

I'm much less concerned about rich people paying more in taxes (I like that idea just fine, having never broken out of the 15% bracket myself), than I am that there is some accountability in how the taxes are spent. Anyone who has worked in the bureaucracy, (besides fearless leader) can tell you that 15 million dollars SPENT on the poor might mean something far different than 15 million dollars actually HELPING the poor.

Maybe next month I'll tell you the story of eating steak in the name of "deinstitutionalization of people with disabilities."

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home