Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Hard to imagine a bigger waste of time...



...which may be its charm. I note that the website lists the time as 6:00 AM to 7:30 AM, but I'm guessing that's a mistake.

The Simpsons: Cultural Criticism and America’s Favorite TV Family

Animated anti-hero Homer Simpson drunkenly sums up his family, "Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him." A panel of scholars from the humanities and social sciences will take on Homer, Bart and the whole crew in this exploration of popular culture. Academia has begun to notice what fans of the show have known all along, that The Simpsons is very intelligent satire. Short clips from this longest running TV show will be analyzed with an eye to social commentary, philosophy, history, and politics.

Location: Chicago Cultural Center - 78 E. Washington Street
When: Wednesday, 12/7
Admission: Free
Contact: Liberal Education
Phone: 312-344-7295

5 Comments:

Blogger mkchicago said...

mmmmmmmm......cartoons as critcal thought. I think this is right up my alley. In this vein, I recommend the following:
The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer

Leaving Springfield: The Simpsons and the Possibility of Oppositional Culture

I may very well show up. Any body else thinking of going?

12:45 PM  
Blogger hurtleg said...

I would guess some of these 'scholars' come from state supported institutions. It makes me feel better about where my tax dollars are going. Heavan forbid we spend it on math or science professors.

If they come from private institutions and private grants (no government money) more power to them.

I wish somebody would pay me to sit around and give my views on things that don't matter (other my employer who doesn't know I'm doing this on company time).

12:59 PM  
Blogger Germanicu$ said...

I have gone to similar events. I think too often it devolves into the entire assembled audience torturously reciting the lines when the clips are played. Totally ruined Bugs Bunny for me; I won't let that happen with the Simpsons. Count me out.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Germanicu$ said...

I just got the date and time fwded to me by a friend - it is 6:00pm, FYI.

And worth a look:

http://www.boybeater.org/content/tests/simpsons.html

1:15 PM  
Blogger Notobamasfool said...

Did you go Mk?

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home