Friday, December 09, 2005

In An Alternate Branch of the Multiverse...

...where people still expect something other than fantasy, disinformation, and lack of accountability from this president, this story is probably a big deal:

Checking the Hard Facts

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Thursday, December 8, 2005; 1:00 PM

Some American journalists intent on fact-checking President Bush's vision of Iraq are finding it too dangerous to inspect the areas Bush yesterday cited as models of success.

Which sort of tells you the story right there.

While conceding that American efforts to rebuild Iraq have been flawed at times, Bush nevertheless yesterday touted the effectiveness of reconstruction projects in Najaf and Mosul in particular as examples of the "quiet, steady progress" transforming the country.

So how are those projects really doing? Hard to say.

It's too dangerous to allow visitors to inspect them freely, Rick Barton of the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington told James Glanz of the New York Times. "I bet if we could get around and see these places that they would not be the story that he's telling," Barton said.

Read the whole thing.

8 Comments:

Blogger Germanicu$ said...

Stupid liberal media, reporting what actually is going on! Why must they always point out how the glass is 99.9% empty??

What a buzzkill. This totally ruined Ann Coulter's birthday for me.

12:41 PM  
Blogger George W. Bush said...

"Fisk" that one with your shuttered eyes, stuffed ears, and iced leg.

1:03 PM  
Blogger mkchicago said...

You know, I switched to 100% decaf coffee from my normal 50/50 blend and I feel really good. You may want to try it Herbman.

1:08 PM  
Blogger George W. Bush said...

Nice try, I don't touch caffiene me laddy. I'm on 100% H2O, no madder how much I drink, I can't seem to contain my disgust for you apologists. No need to cry about that. Not to worry, we're all comrades here.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Notobamasfool said...

Caffeine-free coffee? I can only tolerate so much!

I mean, what the hell? What kind of a world do we live in? Coffee has caffeine in it, it's why we drink it. You know why they don't have alcohol-free whiskey?

As for Iraq, there is a war going on, so the fact that some Georgetown journalist feels that it's best not to check out rebuilding efforts is hardly surprising. It would be just horrible if he hit a bump and spilled his latte.

I wonder, however, how wise it is to rebuild when there is, I don't know, a war going on. Bombs destroy buildings, and when they are flying about, perhaps real estate speculation is not the greatest business.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Mockrates said...

"I wonder, however, how wise it is to rebuild when there is, I don't know, a war going on. Bombs destroy buildings, and when they are flying about, perhaps real estate speculation is not the greatest business."

That should be the White House's response to the latte-swilling journalists when they ask why the President's description of reconstruction efforts doesn't check out.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Notobamasfool said...

I really should work for them, maybe I'll change my name to Esteban and forge a matricula consular for the purposes of getting in at the ground level in some Republican's mansion for 3 bucks an hour, only to dazzle them with my airy persoflage.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Mockrates said...

"I really should work for them, maybe I'll change my name to Esteban and forge a matricula consular for the purposes of getting in at the ground level in some Republican's mansion for 3 bucks an hour, only to dazzle them with my airy persoflage."

I'm speechless.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home