Thursday, March 30, 2006

Our Next Book, ALIEN NATION


I haven't yet picked up this book, but Abra pointed out to me that its copyright is 1995. I wonder how topical our discussion can be regarding a book over 10 years old.

From what I've read about it on Amazon.com, it shouldn't matter. From the reviews, this should be a great book club book. "A scattershot, argumentative tract against current immigration policy and practice," Library Journal calls it. "An alarmist, slashing anti-immigration manifesto likely to stir debate," says Publisher's Weekly. "A polemic guaranteed to rally the faithful and offend most others." We'll see about that.

One thing's for sure: if the author goes into the Strategic Logic of immigration, or even casually references Israel, we're sure to have spirited debate.

It's my understanding that immigration law hasn't significantly changed in the last 10 years, and it sounds like his little manifesto takes a more general philosophical approach re: immigration. I think it's a good selection.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mockrates said...

Mea culpa. Sorry, I was thinking it was more recent than that. I'm still up for it if y'all are, but I'm fine if people want to make a different choice.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home