Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Adults on the Left?

I have read in a couple of different places about the Euston Manifesto.

A summary of the manifesto:
D. Conclusion

It is vitally important for the future of progressive politics that people of liberal, egalitarian and internationalist outlook should now speak clearly. We must define ourselves against those for whom the entire progressive-democratic agenda has been subordinated to a blanket and simplistic 'anti-imperialism' and/or hostility to the current US administration. The values and goals which properly make up that agenda - the values of democracy, human rights, the continuing battle against unjustified privilege and power, solidarity with peoples fighting against tyranny and oppression - are what most enduringly define the shape of any Left worth belonging to.



This seems like a more principled and coherent opposition to some of Bush's policies. Contrast this to the lunitic ravings of the left driven by bitter hatred of Bush like we get from Iowaherbman. His posts are so filled with vitriol and distortions that it is hard to find his point at times. The fact that he hides his arguments in adhominem attacks on anyone who disagrees with him (I've been called a Bush Ass licker) pretty much helps me tune him out, even if he has a valid point.

Please let the adults retake the democratic party. The US is better off with an effective opposition, even when I disagree with its policies.

5 Comments:

Blogger PooterGeek said...

Thank you for the link and for your kind words. Do watch our site for further developments.

4:07 PM  
Blogger George W. Bush said...

HL,

Being the good American opportunist you are, I applaud your attempt at placating my fellow comrades on the left by conceding, albeit, in a round-about way, your desire for a balanced government.

Very admirable, I appreciate the attempt at dressing the left up in a conventional costume defined by the following prototypically hollow buzzwords:

"the values of democracy, human rights, the continuing battle against unjustified privilege and power, solidarity with peoples fighting against tyranny and oppression"

I mean, WOW, those are some cutting edge concepts. Sheesh, If only there were someone like that out there that I could faithfully follow.

Who doesn't want these things?

If, according to you, these are proper 'leftist' principles, what principles, as a wingnut, do you believe in? Just curious, are you admitting then that Bush adheres to the ideals of tyranny and inequality?

Until you present evidence to the contrary, I wholeheartedly stand by my opinion that, yes, without a doubt, you are "a bush ass licker". I apologize if this makes you uncomfortable, most of us aren't aware of our unconscious desires, perhaps you are.

Please provide me with some examples of the distortions you accuse me of propagating, I'd like to rectify them for you.

I promise, that when doing so, I'll follow the rules that you have drawn up for me.

5:00 PM  
Blogger hurtleg said...

"Please provide me with some examples of the distortions you accuse me of propagating"

Every time you say Bush lied about WMD in Iraq. The intelligence was wrong, but there was lie. You refuse to accept the facts.

Anyway, I;m done. If you can't have a civil debate without resorting to name calling I have no interest.

7:42 PM  
Blogger hurtleg said...

no lie, I left a word out.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Notobamasfool said...

Iowaherb,

I would kind of like an answer to that matter--is Mr. Bush an evil genius who manipulates intelligence to fit his imperialistic desires, or is he a bumbling idiot with no concept of foreign relations?

I have long held out that the Democrats could have won in 2004 and would win in 2006 if, instead of mantras of Bush lied, people died, they exploited the fact that we went to war over faulty information. I say such things openly, because I have frankly little fear that they will use this to any good advantage.

Having said all of that, I love vitriol, and I'm glad it's here.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home