Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Book Idear

I was absent from June's discussion in which this was most likely discussed. If a book has already been designated for July, perhaps we could dive into this in August?

Siva's comments on the author/book:

"Eric Rauchway will be your host here on Altercation tomorrow. You might have noticed that he has a lot to say about the movements of people and capital across borders and around the world. As a historian, he understands that today's anxieties are echoes of those from about a century ago, when the United States was more globalized and its labor markets in more transition than anything we are experiencing today. His research for this book is just astounding. His insights are powerful. I could go on, but I have only just started reading the thing. For now, just trust me that it's an impressive work and you will never think about the development of the United States the same after reading it. Here is the basic question: How did the United States grow into such a unique political culture and economic state? By all measures, the rise to power of the United States was sui generis. This country did not mimic the United Kingdom. It did not sway with postcolonial tides the way Mexico and Brazil did. Its welfare state differs from every other developed nation. Its military might is unrivaled in human history. Its people are more diverse and more connected with the rest of the world than anyone could have imagined at its founding. Ever wonder how we got this way? Eric Rauchway will guide you through it."

4 Comments:

Blogger Germanicu$ said...

This book does look interesting, but it is not slated to be released until later this month. This may make it tough to acquire, not unlike the selection I made, which was just released this month. Sorry.

For what it's worth, I am halfway through it and it's a quick, compelling read. It's probably unavailable at the Library, so if anyone wants to borrow my copy, let me know and I'll get it to you when I'm done.

I like your new handle, GWB, but I preferred Iowaherbman.

4:30 PM  
Blogger George W. Bush said...

Dood, I'm the effing DECIDER!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Germanicu$ said...

I just keep waiting for Sharon to die, so I can change my avatar.

8:59 PM  
Blogger mkchicago said...

Arrested Development died, and I didn't change my avatar.

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home