Thursday, April 19, 2007

More Pushing a Rock Up A Hill

More on my lonely jihad against the jihad against scientific reason, patients, and common sense.

I'm not sure why I have been posting so much about global warming recently. I guess I never thought or read much about it until recently. I think I am a skeptic at heart and when I see a sudden change in the conventional wisdom in a short period of time it sets off the alarms in my head. All of a sudden, in the past 6 months or so, the debate over global warming and the causes of it have been declared over. I have read enough that I am skeptical that the science is that solid. I haven't seen convincing proof that man's actions are causing warming. We don't know enough about the climate and how it works to say one way or another. The earth has been through warm periods before and no one blames man for those. I think when we discussed "Big Fat Liars" someone said that correlation does not prove causation to tear the book apart. I think this applies to what we know today with global warming.

The debate has become so political that the science is being obscured and even distorted. Scientist who question the orthodoxy get attacked and have funding pulled. The far left and radical environmentalists that are pushing this view have their own agenda that these scare stories advance (America's wealth is destroying the earth, the evil oil companies are destroying the earth, etc.)

I don't doubt the sincerity of most people who believe global warming is caused by man. Most people are not scientists and only know what is on the network news or the newspaper. Hell, I could feel really stupid in 10 or 20 years if this is proved to be true. My main point is we don't know enough today to say one way or another. I think its a mistake to assume we do and take potentially crippling costs to contain something we don't know is a threat.

Anyway, another article I found that I found interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home